Mission Indonesia

RI decries Syrian killings

www.thejakartapost.com

May 30, 2012

 

Margareth S. Aritonang, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Wed, 05/30/2012 1:58 PM

 

Indonesia strongly condemned Syria`s chilling massacre last week, which killed up to 108 people — mostly women and children, Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said in Jakarta on Wednesday.

“Of course, we have been monitoring [the event] and we strongly denounce the massacre. [Indonesia], as part of the United Nations` observer team, have consistently demanded -- not only asked -- the Syrian government to stop its violent acts against innocent civilians,” he said prior to a meeting with the House of Representatives’ Commission I overseeing defense and foreign affairs.

Marty said that 16 military and police officers had been deployed as observers to Syria.

“This issue needs dialogue,” he said.

According to the UN`s office for human rights, most of the victims of the massacre, which took place in Houla, were shot at close range, many of them women and children who were gunned down in their homes, as reported by the Associated Press.

Human rights` office reports cite that some witnesses blamed the house-to-house killings on pro-government militias known as shabiha, who often operate as hired muscle for the regime.

The brutality of the Houla killings, documented in gruesome amateur videos of scores of bodies laid out before burial, has sparked international outrage and raised new questions about the ability of a UN-brokered plan to end the 15-months of violence in Syria. (swd)